Sunday, April 09, 2006

Now that I have a camera again, I can show you photos of many things, like, the math building here in Munich in which the Ofnet skulls are kept:



The Alte Pinakothek...



and the Neue Pinakothek:



Here are two Bavarian men looking at the Glyptothek museum:



Here's a closer look at the two Bavarians, because they were just so totally cute:



Wednesday night (and most of Thursday too) were spent bugabarfing (or barfabooing, take your pick, but I gotta give Daniel credit for that second one) in my hotel. (I must have eaten some bad schnitzel or strudel, or something. Or maybe it was too much Münchner Bier in the Viktualienmarkt?) In any case, that wasn't fun. But, hey, those were 2 days that I didn't spend any money!

By Friday I had recovered enough to go see the Dachau concentration camp memorial:





Those long rows of gravel are where the barracks used to be.

Yesterday, I took a day trip to Salzburg. It was a gorgeous day, the first really warm & sunny one I've had so far (but it's raining again today.) After 5 years of living in the midwest, it was really cool to see mountains again. I actually shouted, "mountains!" when I first saw them. Good thing my train was full of other tourists who were just as excited as I was. Since my mom has been asking for me to post another photo with me in it, here's a picture I took from the train. I was trying to catch my first close glimpse of the Bavarian Alps:



Pictures from Salzburg:






The Mozart family grave:



Inside Mozart's geburtshaus. Somehow I don't think his name was scrawled on the wall like that during the time he lived there:



Tonight I catch a night train to Milan, followed by an early morning train the next day to Nice. That's where I'll be staying while I shapesnatch some Upper Paleolithic skulls at the Museo de Balzi Rossi, in Ventimiglia, Italy. My Italian is worse than my German, unfortunately, but it'll be nice to be able to communicate in French again! Ciao.

3 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hardly call two hands, lips and a forehead a picture of you, but I guess it will have to do. Glad all is going well. Enjoy Nice but be careful. Love :) xoxo

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great pictures!
Did you see the McDonald's near Dachau? Or is that some other concentration camp that they exploited?
Aren't you the continental jet-setter Jer? Off to Italy...wowee. Say hi to George Clooney, if he is at his Lake Cuomo villa :)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

mom: there was a bit of chin there too...

tj: if I had known you were interested, I'd have picked up a bunch of stuff from the museum there (brochures, etc.) I took TONS of photos there, so I'll burn you a cd after I get home.

(And nothing's better than Pietro. Except for my dog, Bailey :)

g: umm, someday? You'll get through it soon. Then we'll have a big party.

jer: no, no macdonalds anywhere near Dachau. (The surrounding town of Dachau looked really pretty too.)

All I've seen so far of Italy is the Milan train station and the 50 ft immediately east of the French border on the sea, where the Balzi Rossi museum is. The train station looked like a train station, but those 50 ft by the water were gorgeous! I'm staying in Nice right now. The last 48 hrs were quite the adventure...I'll tell the story & post photos tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home