Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Entschuldigung?

Took the train to Stuttgart today. (So no more waffles or chocolate. But at least there's still good beer.) With my Eurail pass I travel first class, so I'm surrounded by suits & laptops. Watching them do their business thang, I was reminded of that old Kids in the Hall sketch about little Billy (or Bobby or Kevin) who brought home a stray business man & asked his mom if he could keep him. His mom agreed, and so they named him "Mr. Stevenson." For a while they thought it was cute to watch Mr. Stevenson try to exchange business cards & set up meetings with people, but they became concerned when he kept trying to hail taxis outside their home. Ultimately, they ended up driving Mr. Stevenson down to Bay St. (Toronto's Wall St.) where they set him free. They watched him run up to all the other business men & exchange their business cards. After a minute or two, all of the business men hailed a taxi together & drove off to a meeting. Billy was sad, but he knew he did the right thing by letting Mr. Stevenson go free. He'd be happier among his own kind.

ANYWAYS, so with that running through my head, I kept giggling at all the suits. Well, until one of them tried to steal my seat when I went for a coffee. Not funny, Herr Stevenson. Not funny at all.

Has this ever happened to you? I got in a cab when I reached Stuttgart, and when I told the driver where I needed to go, he just looked at me and said, "scheisse." Um, ok?

5 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

"Enschuldigung" (is that really how you spell it?) was the only German word I knew during my brief trip to Germany. I learned how to say "garlic bread" while I was there, but I can't remember it anymore.

Two of my all-time favorite Tour de France cyclists are German: Jan Ullrich and Jens Voigt. Be sure to say hi if you see them.

The big event at UIUC today was a visit from Colin Chapman-- one of my all-time favorite Canadian primatologists. He was super cool and super nice and I thought his talk was good. I am still a bit euphoric. Will try to calm down. It is always interesting to meet someone after having read their papers for years and years.

Okay Bugaboo, I hope you've enjoyed a nice German beer by now. I loved your story of Mr. Stevenson!

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does Entschuldigung mean? Do you drink, eat or wear it??? Other than that I'm not sure I want to know! (:

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

No, it just means 'excuse me' or 'sorry'. (But correct me if I'm wrong, all you German-speakers out there!)

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja! And you can say, if you're feeling polite, entschuldigung sie bitte. And if you're feeling irritated because someone stole your train seat, you can say, fichen sie sich, bitte. Also a handy phrase if you need a bathroom: wo ist die toilette? If you have to ask permission: kan ich bitte zu toilette gehen?
Deutschland, Deutschland, uber alles...
:)

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Hey there Jer, thanks for "fichen sie sich, bitte". If it means what I think it means (although my favourite online translator translates it as, "if they fichen themselves, ask"), it's going to come in handy down here in Munich...

M: Screw that! I need my camera more!!

I remember Herr Scheel swinging from the classroom door to illustrate the German word for "door". (I forget the word now, but I do remember thinking at the time that he was going to tear that door off its hinges.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home