Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Pretty Shiny Vienna

This is the first time that I've been in Europe at Christmas. I started to see some holiday decorations when I was in Thessaloniki, and the Christmas market in Brno's main square had only just started as I left for Austria, but it's full-blown Christmas here in Vienna, and Vienna is especially pretty at Christmas time. Look:





The lights are just dazzling, and little Christmas markets have popped up in almost every available square, park, and plaza, consisting of little wooden booths selling everything from chocolates and hot spiced wine, to candles and jewelry.



It's pretty here during the day too.







So far, I've walked all around the city centre (the "Innere Stadt"), saw where Mozart and Freud lived, where the Hapsburgs are interred, Klimt's The Kiss and the original Venus of Willendorf statue. The Naturhistorisches Museum only recently put the Willendorf statue on public display and it was really cool to see the original in person. The museum itself is really beautiful:



I'll return to the museum on Thursday to ShapeCam three fossils skulls from Mladec.

Tonight I met up with my friend Louise for dinner. Louise is a U of T grad student and a Canadian expat who's been living in Vienna for a few years now. It was so nice to see a friendly face from home! (Especially one that can translate a menu for me.) I had a really great time catching up with her. Since I last saw her, she got married and is now expecting her first baby, so there was much to catch up on! (So much so, that I forgot to take pictures. Oops. I'll see her again tomorrow. If I forget again, then those of you requesting photos may have to wait until I meet up with Nicoletta in Florence...get that trigger finger ready, Pispu)

Man, they love Justin Timberlake over here.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting to see your smiling face...)>:
The Xmas decorations look beautiful but I see that you still haven't found the sun. What exotic foods are you eating there?
"little Christmas Markets"...my favorite things.
Bailey and Soocie say hi.
xoxo (<:

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Bugaboo--
My computer is broken and our internet service is on the fritz... I have been suffering Buga-blog withdrawl!! I'm so happy to finally log on and see what you have been up to. The pictures won't really load, so I am just trying to imagine what everything looks like until I get a chance to see them.

Miss you and glad you are having a fab time!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

I think I may have caught the JT love. (Are there shots for that now?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home