Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thessaloniki

I'm back from my very quick trip to Thessaloniki. I'm glad that it'll be over a month until I have to get on another plane. I've got one more complaint to add to my rant: people who get on flights wearing really stronge perfume or cologne. I think that in addition to the x-ray and metal detector machines, there should be some sort of sniff test you need to pass before being allowed to get on the plane. If you're wearing enough perfume to gas a small village, you should be hosed down prior to boarding.

The flights to and from Greece (4 in total) were very turbulenty. Not fun. I hate when planes go through turbulence. I also hate when they take off. Or when they turn. Or fly.

This is what Greece looks like from the sky:



And this is what Canada looks like to the Athens airport!:



Here's a closer look:



Look at the distance between Niagara Falls and the CN Tower! I never knew that the Falls were actually in Manitoba. And apparently there's nothing interesting east of Quebec! (Sorry M ;) Hahaha.

My visit to the university in Thessaloniki went well. The equipment survived another flight (so happy), and everyone in the Dept of Geology were really great and didn't mind me rearranging all the furniture in their paleontology museum to make room for me and my ShapeCam. Here's what the Dept looks like from the outside:



It rained the entire time I was in Greece, clearing up only when my first flight took off. Thessaloniki is a nice city with lots of shopping and lots of nice restaurants along the waterfront. I'm sure it's a lot of fun in warmer, sunnier weather.







Tonight I take the night train up to Vienna and I should arrive in Brno by Sunday afternoon. I'm sad to leave Rome so soon, but I'll be back in Italy soon enough! Ciao ciao!

8 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again!.....
(what can I say..I worry ):) You were going to rent a car and drive in Europe????? I like the idea of the lift better.
I'm glad that I got to see Niagara Falls before it was moved. A day trip to Manitoba would have been difficult.
Thessalonika..I remember that tower. Did you take the waterfront walk south of that tower? There's a lovely round Square (if that makes sense) and our hotel was there. Did you try the calamari?
Enjoy the train ride tonight now that you'll get a good sleep and post lots of pictures. They're great.
xoxo(<:

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like the Mountie and the hockey player have invaded the States and put in a flag, eh.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

But what is that carpet or quilt-like thing southeast of Toronto?

I made it to Brno. It´s hard to type on this keyboard...the letters are not where they are supposed to be and there are lots of extra ones too, like these: §ůúěščřžýáíé

More later.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also unaware that Ottawa's Parliament buildings were north of Newfoundland -- in Labrador !

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

I also love the igloo, beaver, Inuit man, the moose, and...what is that? A plate of salmon? Almost every Canadian stereotype is represented!

They're just missing some guy named Gord in a hockey jersey holding a beer and saying "Sorry?"

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Hola Fridita, no no...not hating Europe, just hating the flying in (and to) Europe! Loving the Europe, only hating the flying!

The umbrellas were part of a sculpture/art thingy down by the water in Thessaloniki. I think it's a permanent display, but it captured the mood of the day just perfectly.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's a secret ploy by Atlantic Canadians to make everyone else in the world think there's nothing in the East because we want to keep all of this natural beauty to ourselves. Not good for tourism!

Can't wait to see the bathroom pics!

eastern garden grrl

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thessaloniki's WeatherCAM
NorthWest SkyView:
http://dias.aueb.gr/~tsik/webcam.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home