Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It took over 32 hours, but I made it to Burgos in one piece. My plans with my friend in Marseille fell through, so I made the trip in one shot. Five trains in total. I'm glad I'll be here for a few days; I don't really feel like seeing the inside of another train for a little while.

I was sad to leave Torino. I was able to walk around the city a little near the end of my visit -- it's a nice place. Aside from the horrible man at ticket booth number 3 in the Torino train station, who screamed at me in Italian and made me cry, every single person I met in Turin was really nice. Seriously -- super people. Even the men who make kissing noises at you from across the street (hey, at least they stay on the other side of the street, unlike the creepy guy in Nice) were kind of nice when they did it. Anyways, go there. Good place. Here are my best photos from Turin:





Because I had to change trains in Nice, I got to experience the special Hell that is the Nice Ville train station again. Here's an idea of what it was like:





Scaffolding, tons of people, really hot, ugh. If I never see that place again, it'll be too soon. (Just the station. I liked the old part of Nice a lot.)

Because I'm still sore from dragging all my stuff on and off 5 different trains and I want you to share in my pain (or it's just a blatant plea for sympathy), here's another shot of everything I'm carrying around:



I made a friend while waiting for the Irun-Burgos train -- a French student studying something (I don't know what, she was talking very fast in French and I was sooo tired at that point, so I just kept nodding and saying, "oui") in Vittoria, Spain. It was great to have someone watch my bags while I found the only clean bathroom between Turin and Burgos. She was really very nice, but it was soo hard to stay awake and pay attention to what she was saying to me. (Negro, I now totally understand how you feel when you're too tired to speak English anymore.) She just kept talking and talking and doing it so very fast in French. I think she caught on that I wasn't paying attention, because after a while she kept poking at me and asking, "Tu comprendes?" (Or however it's spelled.) Oui? Oui?" I passed out the second she left the train.

Now I'm here in Burgos, but I can't start working until my flash arrives. It's still at customs in Madrid, but the customs guy thinks it'll take a day or two for it to get to Burgos. Hopefully I can get everything done on either Thursday or Friday. I'm meeting with the anthropologist-in-charge this afternoon. So far, they've been really understanding. There are a few people whose schedules I need to fit into, so I hope it works out. I'm glad I scheduled the full week here.

On Sunday I'll take the train back up to Paris. It's an overnight trip again, but at least it's just one train, direct from Burgos to Paris. I'll spend 2 days in Paris, followed by a few days in London (kind of excited to take the Eurostar, but don't like the idea of traveling under all that water), and then another few days back in Paris before flying back home. It'll be good to get back, I think. I've missed my beans.

Oh hey - if anyone's looking for a good book to read, I just read Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I read the whole thing on this last train trip. It was fantastic. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats, etc. Totally heartbreaking, but really, really great. It's about a little boy who's father died in the 9/11 attacks (tj, you might find it really interesting.) It's actually about much more than that, and you should read it. Go. Now. Stop reading this blog and go read this book.

I like book recommendations from friends, so if any of you do too, two other books I've read on this trip are Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Neither of these are the most recently published of books, but in case you haven't read them already, I highly recommend them. (I also read the Da Vinci Code, but I figure so has the rest of the world, too :)

13 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby.........okay, so much for sympathy. You're travelling around and I'm stuck here behind a computer );
Glad to hear that you made it to Burgos, even though it's in one painful piece.
EVERYONE...boycott gate 3 in Torino!
Have a good time there, and a safe trip to Paris.
Love XOXO (;

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I am car-sick just reading your post and thinking of all that traveling. So glad you made it safe on all those trains with all that luggage. Rob and I are going on a bit of a trip after I finish pre-lims (shhh, I haven't told S.L. yet!), so I think I will try to read some of the books you suggested. The last time I read for fun was probably during my pilot study in Nicaragua, when somebody left a copy of The Mists of Avalon in my room. I used to read it with a flashlight at nighttime and there would be all sorts of flying bugs swarming around me, attracted to the light.

Have fun in Spain, Jodi, and I hope your flash arrives in a flash!

Greg, I clicked on your link for photos of the bunnies but got nothing. I would be interested to see if the ones that foraged closer to optimally (more protein surplus and less energy shortfall) end up with higher reproductive success.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Thanks for the sympathy!

How did I become friends with such geeks?

g: rachel's lucky. robin would have run her over with the mower ;)

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

K: Would I have to touch anything? (I've still got the jacket.)

Negro, I'm coming home with more Spanish for you. Funny enough, I actually ran into some old friends on the street in Burgos yesterday. I tried out ALL the Spanish you've ever taught me. You would have been proud.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just some kissing noises for you jeje, Abrazos
Bernardo El Oso

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ma che dice, porco italianini dello treno che a fato cry la mia amici Jodini... Viva lĀ“Italia,
Ciao bella,
Bernardini, il urso

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Bernardito! There's a Hotel Urbani in Torino! I wanted to take a picture for you, but I didn't have the camera with me.

Do you guys remember when Steve Mass (STEVE MAAS!) brought rabbit meat to eat for Easter?

I had lunch with some Spanish and Georgian friends yesterday. They ordered a traditional Burgos dish and made me eat it. Afterwards they told me it was fried pig's blood.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Jodi, eating fried pig blood, once you switch over to the carnivore side you really go whole hog (pun intended)...

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...you switched to the dark side? What's going on Jer? Say it ain't so. I'm out of the loop, I guess. All I can say is, I'm so disappointed...(sending disapproving look across the Atlantic)
Anyway, Negro and anyone else who wants to continue to discuss eating bun buns, you will certainly be disappointed when you eventually die, arrive at the pearly gates and realize that God is a bunny. And then you will be cast out and roasted over a spit for demon-bunnies to consume. So there!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi!! I just found your page. It's pretty awesome. I'm so jealous of your adventures. And you spent time in my beloved Brussels too (I lived there for 2.5 years), my favoritest city of all cities. The frites with mayo are the best, although the Belgian mayo tastes a lot different than (and not as good as) Dutch mayo. So if you go back to Amsterdam, you should try some there as well.

I guess it's too late for travel advice (have been a little out of the bio-loop). It seems like you had a pretty good time. BTW, re the Santa Claus pic in Brugge, the other guys are the easter bunny, the Dutch/Flemish Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) and his helper "Black Pete" (yes, pretty racist remnant of slave trade, but I won't elaborate here). They hold a sign saying "we lost our dates" - dates referring to days of celebration. Not sure what it means though.

Ok, I'll stop here. I'm procrastinating majorly. It's final-papers-time..., but I'll be in Uganda soon enough. Jippie.

Take care & enjoy!!!
Karin

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

At last, the mystery of the Sinterklaas photo has been unravelled. Thanks to Karin for clearing that up!

I hope you are not eating anymore fried pig blood, Jodi. I just ate an organic "blood orange" from Strawberry Fields. It tasted kind of like a berry instead of an orange. I don't even want to imagine what the pig blood tasted like!!!!!

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

I thought the easter bunny guy was a teddy bear! Very cool. Thanks Karin!!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

This is what I've been saying to you people...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home