Monday, November 13, 2006

Bugaboo 2: Electric Boogaloo

"He who would travel happily must travel light." -- Antoine de St. Exupery

I'm working on it.



Okay bugabooers, here's the itinerary for this round of shapesnatchin'. On Thursday, November 16, I fly to Rome, where my first official stop will be to see a Neandertal skull at the Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico ("L. Pigorini"). A few days later I'll fly to Thessaloniki, Greece to see the Petralona H. heidelbergensis skull at the Dept. of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. At the end of November I'll travel up to the Czech Republic where I'll visit the Center for Paleolithic and Paleoethnological Research in Dolni­ Věstonice (to see these) and the Anthropos Institute at the Moravian Museum in Brno. At the beginning of December I'll be heading over to Austria in order to see some Upper Pleistocene H. sapiens fossils in Vienna at the Naturhistorisches Museum. After Vienna, I'll take the train up to Berlin and visit the Museum fur Vor- und Fruhgeschichte in order to see the Le Moustier Neandertal (here's a photo of a cast of the skull.) My last stop will be at the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn near the end of December, where I'll get to see some of the original Neandertal fossils.

After Bonn, I'll head back down to Italy and meet up with Pispu in Florence before flying out of Rome!

I'll be flying back to Illinois via Toronto on the 27th of December (with a 7 day stopover :) so all you Toronto people take note! (Oh hey, anyone wanna come pick me up at the airport? Aaron? Mom? Anyone? I'll likely have presents... ;)

After Toronto, I'll spend a week visiting the cast collection at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City in early January.

So that's the plan! Advice, recommendations, suggestions, warnings, etc., are always welcome, so please don't hesitate if you have any!

Oh yeah -- and please keep any available fingers and toes crossed that nothing breaks this time!!!!

8 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advice: keep 2 eyes on your camera this time !

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger daniel said...

I guess I'd better start bagging up stuff for convenient emergency shipping overseas...

I hope you make it through your flights just fine (without shaving a few years of your life off through worry like I did)!

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe flight. Looking forward to the first blog from Rome. Enjoy the pasta and pizza and vino(not too much)!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Bugaboo!!!! Today is Thursday the 16th, maybe you are in the airplane on your way to Rome right now! Be sure to eat lots of gelato; that is what I did when I was in Italy some years back. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that the shapecam remains intact and you get the data you need.

Looking forward to reading your posts!!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger daniel said...

Don't forget to fill that shapecam case with good italian espresso!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Nico said...

Apart from gelato (it's a bit cold now for it..) I would suggest Bucatini all' Amatriciana and Spaghetti alla Carbonara, buonissimi a Roma!!!!..(you know that from me you will only receive advices about food! heheh!!)

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh, Melanie goes home from TO on the 27th...will we connect at the airport??? That is BAD timing, my dears.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Hi Wendy! I think Melanie & I miss each other at Pearson by a ridiculous 30 minutes. Can you believe that? I'll just have to make another trip out east next summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home