Monday, May 08, 2006

And So It Ends.

Hi all. I'm back in Paris for the third time in 2 months. I took the Eurostar in from London on Saturday, and I actually ran into another old friend of mine in the train station shortly after I arrived. I was looking for an ATM, and happened to glance over at him as I walked past. He saw me too, and we had one of those, "Hmm...you look familiar, but I think I'm just going to keep walking" moments, but then he turned around, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was Jodi. Well, I was, so I said yes. It turned out to be my old friend Tom, who dug with me at Arago Cave in August of 2000. After I broke my ankle, Tom totally helped take care of me, pushing me around in this horrible old and rusty wheelchair we found, and shared in my horror when I found out that in France, when you break a leg or an ankle, they're so scared that you'll develop a blood clot in your leg (from keeping it immobile in the cast) that they make you inject yourself once each day with blood thinner. In the belly. I'm being totally serious. Everyone has to do it. (I asked around.) They wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I had purchased enough pre-loaded syringes and promised that I'd stick myself with one each day. I tried to explain that I was Canadian, and we don't do that, but it didn't work. I even offered to call my brother (a med student at the time) and have him explain to them that this wasn't necessary. But no dice. I lasted 4 days (that's 4 needles in the belly! That I gave myself! Me! Needles! In the belly! I almost fainted with each one. In fact, I'm feeling a little weak even writing about it now...) until I broke down and called my mommy to help me get home.

But anyways. It was great to see Tom again. He's been living in Ireland for these past 6 years, and still doing archaeology. He came to Paris for the weekend with his wife and brand new 9-week-old baby girl. She was very, very cute :)

Tomorrow I'm going to see the fossils in the Musee de l'Homme, and that'll be the very last stop on Jodi's "Grand European Fossil Shapesnatching Tour, 2006" (t-shirts are a good idea, jer ;) My trip is coming to an end. On Wednesday morning I'm taking the train back up to Brussels, and I'll be flying back to Champaign a few hours later. So, I'm very sad to say this, but I think this will probably be the last post on the blog. Well, at least until Melissa does another keg-stand. Or unless if miracles really, actually do happen and I get some more travel money... ;)

Thanks to all of you who took the time to read & post comments! It can get lonely traveling around by yourself, and your comments kept me from feeling too far from home and friends. I'll be getting back pretty late on Wednesday, so those of you who want to call (mom: this means you), might want to wait until the next day.

I leave you with pretty pictures of Paris:



Around the Saint-Michel area:





Les Jardins du Luxembourg:









For Frida:

10 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Jodi, Jodi, Jodi!!!!! You took a picture of my very favorite thing in Paris: the Fountaine de Medicis in the Luxembourg Gardens. The first semester I was there, all my classes were in the St. Michel area, so I hung out at Luxembourg Gardens a lot. Maybe you'll find this hard to believe, but I even smoked a couple of Gauloise Blondes at the fountain. Thanks for posting the pics of Paris-- brought back so many memories of my younger days.

How do you keep running in to long lost friends everywhere you go in Europe!!!!!!!!! That is mind boggling!

I am so glad you are coming home soon; we have much catching up to do!!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger daniel said...

The cafe/sidewalk scene reminded me of Le Pied de Cochon in Paris. Now that you aren't a strict vegetarian, you should go there and sample some pig's feet! A good companion to the fried blood, I'd imagine...

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Sip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

M: I know! Running into Sebastian at the IPH makes sense (because he's French, an anthro sudent, and the guy who runs the Arago site works there, but Tom's British, and to run into him in the Gare du Nord in Paris after 6 yrs...it was very funny. This happens to me a lot, though. I'm very popular ;)

Hey -- what are Gauloise Blondes? Will I get arrested if I try to bring some home? ;) How was Hawaii? And I can see why you hung out at the fountaine. It's lovely there.

D: ew, pig's feet? No thanks! (I think my brother Aaron likes them, though...)

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Negroooo: send out an email! Embassy! Friday! 7:30! Buy Jodi beers!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gauloise Blondes (I could be mis-spelling or mis-remembering the name) are French cigarettes that cost 18 francs back in the day. The blue package is "legère" (light?). I have fond memories of smoking by the fountain or in a club, or skipping class and smoking while having espresso in a friend's room. Yep, these were my pre-marathoning hard-partying days! Okay, not really. I smoked only about 1 pack in my entire life!

Hawaii was fabulous; the trip there and back was quite stressful though! It took us something like 30 hours to get home, ugh, because of flight delays and cancellations. I'll try to forget about those parts and just remember the palm trees and sand and lovely volcanoes and of course my sister's wedding. Am a bit sad because my little pet parakeet Romie passed away this morning. She was 11 years old and had had a lovely life, but it will take me a while to get used to the fact that she is gone. I think it will cheer me up when you come home, Bugaboo! We will all go out and have a good time and have much to talk about.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly have a lot of very interesting (and nice) friends. It showed in all the great comments. I enjoyed reading every one of them. I also loved reading of your adventures and seeing the pictures.
It sure is a small world when you can bunp into people you know in the strangest places.
Arago and the cast....I remember that well!
I think you travelled enough over there. I'm sure there are places to go on this side of the ocean.
Okay, okay I'll wait until Thursday to call!!! xoxo (;

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Mom: Yes, I do have a lot of "interesting" friends...

Fridita: Gracias! I'll be almost exactly 24 hrs after I left Paris, so look for the girl in really dirty jeans with big bags under eyes. Oh yes, I feel so pretty. And no idea who that Carolina was...

Melissa: So sorry to hear about Romie :( She was a lovely parakeet. We'll toast to her memory on Friday, okay?

g: Thanks! Please tell me the tornadoes are over by now.

Today I saw the original "La Ferrassie" and "La Chapelle-aux-Saints" Neandertal skulls (and the original Cro-magnon skulls too!)

But don't worry, on Friday you can get a chance to touch the hands that touched the skulls!

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home. I love you.
xoxo(;

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

A: No idea. Probably Adam's wedding party-thingy in...Sept?

TJ: Got back last night (after 1 taxi, 2 trains, 2 planes and 2 cars), and bugahugs have been given & received. Thanks :) Call me soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home