Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cavemen for Kevin

On Sunday I took the train to Neanderthal. (Typing that just made me smile.) Yes, I went to Neanderthal. Neanderthal is a little town located right outside of Düsseldorf. The very first Neandertal fossil was found here (hence the name "Neandertal") in a cave in August, 1856. (Well, the first one that was found and recognized as being anything different from us.) This place is kind of like my mecca.

Here's the train station:



The town really just consists of the Neanderthal museum, the train station, a hotel, and a few restaurants. Here's an old statue of a Neandertal with the museum in the background:



The statue is an outdated portrayal of how we think Neandertals actually looked. This is acknowledged in a plaque next to the statue, but it's kept there for sentimental reasons. Here's a more modern portrayal from inside the museum itself:



But I think the artist took some liberation with his clothing choice. (Chaps? Nice.)

The original find site is a short walk along the river behind the museum. The caves are all gone now (blasted away in the search for limestone), but the actual site location is marked, along with the exact location of where more fossils were found in the early 90s.





The next day I visited the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn and got to see the original Neandertal fossils that were found back there in 1856. That was really, really, REALLY cool. I've seen lots of famous fossils by now, but holding this skull was just the most amazing thing for me so far.

I also had time to wander around Bonn. It's a very pretty college town and every other shop is either a shoe or book store (that is not a complaint). The university is huge; it's one of the biggest in Germany. Beethoven was born here too. Right in this house:



Pictures of Bonn:





Today I wandered around Cologne. Also a very pretty city. The cathedral there is massive. Pictures just don't do it justice:



Tomorrow I start my trek back down to Italy, meeting up with Nicoletta in Florence by Thursday. Pictures soon to follow!

12 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three towns and cities in three days....you're sure moving now.
Have a safe trip down to Florence.
Looking forward to seeing you soon. XOXO:)

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So those are Neanderthal chaps...hmmm. I thought maybe they were trying to portray him as just having been de-pantsed by bullies. I'm sure that must have happened in Neanderthal Jr. High school too.
nj

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good too see another post... see? I check your blog... I like the pictures!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

All three places are really close to each other, so I haven't really gone very far!

nj: heh heh, Neandertal Jr. High. I think they were more the wedgy type, though.

d: ok, you get more presents than Aaron ;)

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The figures of the Neandertals were cool...and I want money, not presents== than-k you!!!!!!:P:P

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David...is that how I raised you??
I never knew where the name Neanderthal came from before..that was an interestsing fact to learn.
xoxo;)

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another little-known fact: Neanderthals were also the first hominins to wear mesh tanktops.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

just a little wedding joke, mother hen ;)

K: wearing mesh tanktops & chaps in the Ice Age...hmm, I think we've solved the mystery of why they died out. I see a cover-page "Science" article in our future!

Florence is stunning. I just climbed to the top of the Duomo. (Pictures to follow later.) The grey skies and cold weather stayed back in Germany, and it's soooo beautiful here :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be feeling better Jodi because i have your cold now! must have been all those birthday kisses
you sent my way! i'm in TO, been to ikea and the nutcracker, had pad thai and sticky rice at the queen mother while thinking of you... wish you were here so i could give you back your cold with more kisses. safe travels, i'll warm up the airport for you on the 27th. m of the east

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings to you in Florence. That is such a walkable, beautiful city. Great leather markets there:), and the pizza was delicious. Have a slice for me with some nice red wine. xoxo;)

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is funny. I'm sending this e=mail to jodi from Wisconsin(visiting cousins)while Lynn is reading this is in Toronto and David and Aaron probably and everyone else around the world. Of course,Jodi is somewhere in Europe somewhere but we'll all see each other soon in Toronto. So travel safe,Jodi,and we all see each other soon. Looking forward to being with everyone because we have a lot to catch up with. So love,x0x0 rochelle

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Falada said...

How totally random! I was google-ing the Neandertal museum birthday parties and got this blog, then I saw your eerily familiar photo ... Ah ha, you are Robin Bernstein's friend on Facebook!
I have a Neandertal facebook group, if you wanna join you can post your pix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home