Monday, March 13, 2006

Waffle Update

David will be very happy to hear that I have eaten my first real Belgian waffle (or 'gauffre'.)

And it was good.

Snatching chimps today at the Africa Museum. So far, it's going really well. The only thing I forgot to bring with me today was a plug adapter for my laptop, so I'm running on battery power. (I have one back in my room, I just forgot to bring it with me today.) It's ok; I'm thrilled that's all that I forgot!

I met Emmanuel Gilissen (curator of mammals) earlier this morning. He's a super nice guy. I showed him the all the wonder and glory that is the shapecam, and he thought it was trés cool ('cause he's French.) He wants to keep in touch, and discuss/collaborate on something re: different methodologies of 3D data collection in the future.

I've also made contact with some old Dmanisi friends who are now in Marseille & Paris (Carolina's in Marseille & Sandrine's in Paris, if any of you Dmanisi folk are reading along and are curious!) Marseille is on my way from Italy to Spain, so I'll stop & visit with Carolina and then we may go visit another friend's archaeological site (he's found Neandertal teeth there) in northern Spain. But that won't be until early May, after I go to Burgos. I think I'm also going to go spend a wknd visiting Sandrine in Paris after my week in Brussels (Tea, a Georgian friend, is there too.) It's only a few hours away from Brussels by train. Sandrine may have the special powers needed in order to get me access to the fossils at the Musée de l'Homme. Keep those fingers crossed that she does!!

6 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Vive la gaufre! (I spelled it wrong before, oops)

it sounds like everything is going fabulous and many more opportunities are coming your way!

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I'm mother hen. Cousin Stan (with Adele) fell down an up escalator in Russia last year with all his luggage tumbling down behind him, and he broke his shoulder.
So...no I haven't been drinking....(yet) It's not even noon. It's nice that you can hook up with some old friends while you're there and things are going well. I bet you'll never forget that adapter again. (: XO

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugaboo--
you were missed in Alaska by many.
Alpha Female sends her maternal love
I left her in a karaoke bar called The Woodshed--scary place, but they sing some very well up there. enjoy the low countries while you are there. just a note in passing--I hate the euro, it ruins the fun of having 10 different currencies to mess around with while you're over there.

Greg

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you've got snatchability. Nice work. And wow, look at all the people who like you. You're so cool. Hi garden girl! Lars says Hi, too.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Thanks for all the comments, you guys! I feel so loved! And I do miss you all.

Feliz compleanos, Frida! I hope you had fun on your birthday. I'll celebrate with you when I get back!

Congratulations to Greg on winning that genetics prize! That's so great :) It sounds like you had fun in Alaska. I'll have to get caught up on the karaoke stories later...

Hey gardengrrl, you! I wish there were fossils for me in NB!

No Martin, not a vacation. These are my friends, yes, but they're also my colleagues (a very rare, but very nice, combo if you can find one.) If I can touch base with some of them while I'm here, I'm going to!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

oh, and that adapter?

It was in my bag here at the museum the entire time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home