Saturday, March 11, 2006

Today: Bruges

Right now I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Bruges drinking a Hoegaarden. Happy, happy, happy.

Feeling human again after a good night's sleep. Both my flights on Thursday arrived early at their destinations (a first for me, I think.) There's something about flying that just makes me hate people. I don't know why; maybe because I'm a bad flyer so I'm usually tense to start out with. (And drinks are no longer free on int'l flights! At least not on United flights. That was such a cruel surprise. So not cool.) Or maybe it's just the O'Hare airport that specifically brings out the hate. But, c'mon. How hard is it, really, to not walk directly into another person? Or to apologize when you do? Whatever. I'm in Belgium and I'm happy now. Rant over.

The shapecam case is really heavy, and I think that some restructuring is necessary before the next move. I took the train into Brussels from the airport; there was one panicky moment with a downward escalator until a nice older Belgian man took pity on me and helped me out. I must have looked a little freaked. On Holly's recommendation I took a taxi from the station in Brussels to Tervuren. It was a good suggestion; after hearing from Holly and another American student who traveled here with huge, heavy bags (she was leaving the day I was arriving), there are at least 3 transfers if you take the bus/metro/tram. Not feasible with lots of stuff to carry. The cabbie totally ripped me off though -- buddy got lost, and I had to direct him from the backseat using the map I printed off of Mapquest. Had to pay for the extra kms anyways.

But the apt. I'm staying in is great. If any of you ever come to Tervuren, stay with Carla Meertens. She's super nice, the apt is clean and cheap, and the town is very cute (but small.)

I don't need to be at the museum until Monday, so I have a couple of days to play. I took the train to Bruges today (took less than 1 hr.) Met a woman from Kentucky who is a therapist for the army; she counsels troops and their families as they leave/return from where they're stationed. We talked about the annual London Chicken Festival.

Bruges is gorgeous! Walked around for hours, saw Michelangelo's Madonna and Child, ate frites with mayonnaise for lunch (kinda icky but they're cheap and you gotta try it once), had a couple of Belgian chocolates (no waffle yet), and got my shiny fix at the Diamond Museum. Every time you turn around, there's something you need to photograph. Once I can get online using my own computer, I'll upload some photos.

6 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mother hen is happy that her little chick is safe and having such a good time. Just watch those trips up and down escalators with luggage. Don't repeat cousin's adventures!!!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Its so great to hear the adventures of Bugaboo in Belgium. I am particularly partial to Bruges because RB and I took a trip there when I was living in Paris about 6 years ago. This was where I had my first gauffre. Ah, bliss. Our trip was around the Christmas holidays, and the town square was very festive: decorations, lights, an outdoor ice-rink, and vendors selling gauffres everywhere you looked. Hopefully the gauffres are as plentiful during the off-season.

Glad you're doing well, Bugaboo!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm... frites with mayo. So delicious. Make sure to have a Stella (I know, it's another one that people are lukewarm about, but what fond memories of France!) and think of the old Embassy crew. Tim!!

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

um, 'mother hen'? Is that you, mom? (and are you drunk again? ;)

Which cousin? What happened? Did Keely fall down an escalator in India? I'm so confused!!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Hey ean-Say -

I've had a few Stellas by now! (I can buy them for less than 1€ each at the grocery store!)

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm... Stella. I mean, "Steeelllllaaa!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home